Haus der Kunst

 
  0
Great museum with sinister origins
Designed in the early 1930s by Nazi-sanctioned architect Paul Ludwig Troost with a striking and stately stretch of columns out front, the Haus der Kunst (House of Art) served to promote the Nazis' idea of what German art should be; in fact the museum was originally called Haus der Deutschen Kunst. The museum's most known exhibition — Entartete Kunst (Degenerate Art) — was staged during the summer and autumn of 1937 and featured all that the Nazis despised in art, most of it now typical, loved and/or vital works in the canon of early-20th-century modern art. Today the Haus der Kunst houses one of Germany's more celebrated collections of post-impressionist, expressionist and abstract paintings, together with temporary exhibitions of A-list contemporary artists. The museum is located at the southern tip of the English Gardens.

Location

Tags